Thursday, March 15, 2012

Human Reason vs Divine Faith

Once when I was in my hometown during semester break from university, my cell group leader conducted a Lectio Divina for the night’s session. The word is Latin for ‘divine reading’, and is a form of meditative and prayerful reading of Scripture. The reading was taken from Mark 1:14-20 (which according to him, was supposedly the week’s Gospel reading, although it was actually the week after XD).

As the leader led us in the reading, he called us to contemplate on the Word, to put ourselves in the characters’ shoes, and brought to attention certain words or phrases from the text. Such sessions really help in bringing me deeper into the Word of God, as certain details and realisations are brought to light during this time of quiet pondering.

As I pictured myself as one of the bystanders hearing Jesus in verse 15, it struck me how I would have thought of Him as a lunatic of those times. My rational mind, processing all the events and experiences that came and went before me, would have categorise Jesus as such when he went about preaching the Kingdom.

Let us be honest: if a person was out on the streets today claiming the title of God or shouting about rapture, chances are that we would pay little regard to the message other than label him/her insane, or something along that line. In this generation there are street performers such as David Blaine and Copperfield; it is not hard to imagine there would be some back then who were able to pull off similar feats, while taking advantage of the crowds’ ignorance to attribute themselves to some divine being.

Indeed there were false prophets and magicians in the Old as well as in the New Testament (Deuteronomy 13:1-4; Jeremiah 50:36; Ezekiel 13; Acts 5:36-37, 8:9; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 1 John 4:1), which make it all harder in discernment. There had been other uprisings too – those which were not recorded in the Bible, or were merely given a passing mention (Acts 5:36-37; the rebellion of Simon of Peraea, and Simon bar Kokhba).

Yet in Mark 1:20, the first disciples answered His call and followed Jesus, braving the uncharted waters and leaving behind everything of the life they hold secure. They too had their reasons however. Luke filled in the events that happened at the lake in chapter 5:4-11, whereby they witnessed a sudden haul of fish after working all night and returning empty handed. This surely was no mere happy coincidence; being fishermen, they undoubtedly would have had the experience of their trade: the methods, behaviour, seasons and whatnot. It was then that Simon (before being called Peter) became aware of Jesus’ divinity, even if he had not fully understood it yet.

Throughout His time here on earth, Jesus continued to reaffirm His disciples through the signs and the miracles He performed. But unlike the impostors before and after Him, Jesus did not simply devote Himself to supernatural feats to garner attention (in fact, there are times when He would order those around Him to tell no one, eg: Matthew 8:2, 17:9). He taught by words and actions, and associated Himself with both classes of society. But perhaps something oft overlooked, but no less important, was that Jesus gave His disciples the same authority to drive out demons and to heal the sick, even before the Resurrection. The disciples accomplished them, not through any elaborate or secret techniques, but simply by calling upon His name (Luke 10:17).

Looking back, I am actually really blessed. Skipping over the basics I often take for granted – food, lodging, family, etc. – other events have worked out well, vividly the ones which I went in faith: finding parking lots, freeriding, my grades, my application for the university…The signs and promptings were always there, yet my mind constantly seeks to find the logic in line with the physical reality. Just as the disciples were, in fear and doubt after the Crucifixion, before Jesus revealed Himself in His Resurrected body. Just as Thomas was, refusing to believe, “unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were” (John 20:25). Adrian was quite right when he mentioned my similarity with the Apostle.

Such revelations and insights are the reason I enjoy, cherish and advocate Lectio Divina. This session reminded me to live my lifesong:

I trust in You for life to live.”

- August Burns Red, Redemption .

RFG always.

No comments:

Post a Comment