Sunday, October 28, 2012

T-O-lo-G


I enjoy theology. I wrote it in my CV; I mention it when asked about a personal hobby/interest; I can spend hours on a single passage, topic or issue pertaining to this field; I have considered – and still considering – taking a major in this course.

Yet if there is one thing about my ‘style’ of theology, quite often my interpretations/derivations serve no practical purpose in daily life. I am currently reading a book by Haddon W. Robinson entitled Biblical Preaching, which stresses the importance of the application of Scripture to our lives here on earth. If I were to follow strictly to the book, I can safely say that my works would fail the course.

Let me take my interpretation for Numbers 19:1-10 for example (just run through it if you have not read it yet). Now, allow me to share with whoever is reading this a perspective of this passage:
1-10. Reflects and foreshadows Christ’s Passion.
2. Red heifer.             Jesus.
3. Similar to the high priests, had Jesus taken outside of Jerusalem and crucified Him in their presence.
6. Cedar wood. Brings to mind the wooden cross on which Christ was crucified. Hyssop. Recalls the reed used to bring vinegar to Jesus (John 19:29). Scarlet wool. Reminds of the scarlet robe in Matthew 27:28. Throw them onto the burning heifer. Note these 3 (analogies) were associated to Jesus during Crucifixion.
7-8. Priest. Man who burns it. Unclean. Reflects the 2 parties’ (the priests and Roman soldiers) sin for crucifying an innocent man.
9. A man who is clean…ceremonially clean place. Recalls Joseph, the upright and righteous man who buried Jesus in his own unused tomb (Luke 23:50-53). They are to be kept…from the purification of sin. The blood of Jesus was covers the heart of every believer and purifies them from sin.
7,8,10. Unclean until evening. They will remain under sin until they repent and are baptized (Acts 2:38). Wash his clothes. Bathe in water. Refers to the act in Acts 2:38.       
10. This will be a lasting ordinance…residing among them. Now the blood of Jesus is the everlasting covenant for all who believe (Luke 22:20).

Frankly from my point of view, this passage interpretation would do little to convince someone of Christ’s mercy, or that he/she needs to be baptised. The allegory hidden within the passage is too vague to be used as a conversion story, and only devoted people who enthusiastically read their Bibles would ever pause to ponder on its allegorical meaning. There are other stories contained in the Bible which would make greater impact to be used for evangelisation. Without seeing it metaphorically in light of the New Testament, one may even claim that this passage has no bearing in our lives today.

So to why do I continue to pursue this? I guess in a rational sense the closet simile I can conjure is the same as to why some people devote extensive time into literature. What is the meaning of this person’s actions? What is the author trying to convey? What is the underlying message of the whole story? And when all the pieces of the plot finally fit in, there is some sense of fulfilment left in us by the author.

Perhaps it could also be viewed similar to art. To many, a drawing serves no practical purpose other than for décor/aesthetics, yet there are some who would spend hundreds, thousands, even millions in cash for what others may judge as an ordinary piece of artwork.

As for myself, I do not read the Bible or study theology solely to find a way to live, an answer to a problem, a praise to sing, encouragement or strength in life (of course, that does NOT mean I do not read the Bible for those purposes as well). Perhaps some may feel that by doing the above it is enough to get by into the Kingdom of Heaven, or perhaps they may feel it is not their calling. To me however, I hold it a privilege that God is constantly opening my eyes and allowing me to see the hidden beauty of His Word and works, and how all of them fit His being like a jigsaw puzzle.

Until now up from the time I first realised my interest in this, it has never really disturb me that I could not apply a passage to directly fit in my life today. Had the Bible been composed solely as a book of prayers and instructions, it would have lost much of its credit during the course and change of times. Yet the Bible is rich in the person and revelation of God for those who stop and meditate on the His Word.

In university, a lecturer can have either one of these 2 relationships to a person. First, he/she can have student-teacher relationship. Those who are grouped under this category come, teach, and leave after the period is over. Their role ends upon completion of the lesson. However, we could also see our lecturer more of a friend-educator instead of the afore-mentioned. If we cultivate a deeper relationship with our lecturer, we find that the subject taught becomes easier to absorb, and he/she becomes more approachable. Furthermore he/she is more willing to assist you should you run into problems regarding your thesis or assignments, and you may even acquire additional knowledge/insight regarding the subject as well as in other matters. Similarly, I see God more under the latter category, though in an all-encompassing manner. Our relationship with Him should not be that of a person who only teaches or supports us, but also someone who we are able to spend time with as like a friend. And with a friend, every a minute detail about to him/her that we note indicates the strength in the relationship.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1). To contemplate on the Bible is to contemplate on the Lord. And by contemplating with the Holy Spirit, one will steadily come to know the innermost heart of God. That is what theology is to me.

RFG always.

PS: by the way, to whoever reading this, if you enjoy theology as well give me a holler aye? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment