Sunday, February 17, 2013

Having Faith vs Living Faith.


Ever felt like trolling when something unpleasant shows up in life? I am sure many face(d) it when, just after vowing to become a better person, crap bangs the door and immediately all our noble aspirations suddenly flew from our minds.

Crap happens – as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, until the world ends. It is not as though I do not have a share in it. Take this month for example. During Chinese New Year (which fell on a Sunday), I woke up at 5 in the morning, prepared myself for Church and arrived at the bus stop only to end up waiting until 7 for less than peanuts.

I cannot say I did not feel at least slightly irritated, and as I made my way back to my residence, less than admirable thoughts entered my mind which went along the lines, ‘I woke up early, but God doesn’t want me to go to Church; so I don’t care.’

It is during those times I should remind myself, am I truly living the faith I have? Or am I living it only at my convenience?

Having faith and living it are two different sides of the same coin. Even when no one is physically in the vicinity to hear my inner complaints, the spite which continues to linger wears and may even corrupt the mind, if dwelt on excessively. Nothing beneficial ever comes in being preoccupied with negative thoughts. On the contrary, they may one day leak into our thoughts and actions, and blatantly surface during trying times, without our awareness or meaning to.

Ultimately however, the thoughts I had were addressed to God. Even as I try to deny and direct this thought to nobody in particular, it is just like muttering complaints to myself about a person while still within his earshot. Even when the person knows we do not mean it and only said thus in the heat of the moment, it is not easy to let go of what was said.

The future promises to hold in store greater trials of life, and we all have to go through ours, like it or not. As for me, I will continue to pray that I will be able to grow during those times, consciously reminding myself to walk the path Jesus took whenever I am faced with such trials. May this Lenten season be a fruitful time of spiritual maturing for all through the denial of the physical pleasures in life.

RFG always.

No comments:

Post a Comment