Saturday, May 25, 2019

Fruitfulness in Simplicity

It has been quite a while since I last updated this place. It all started when I sent my PC for maintenance, while my laptop was screwed over after I sent it for cleaning. Since then I guess things started picking up after I came back from my (failed) job interview. Currently I am juggling with teaching Bible Knowledge classes, my part-time simulation work, my discipleship sessions with Adrian, job applications, self-taught courses, my story, meetings with Mormons and most recently my obsession with Alice Gear Aegis (I blame the latter on my discovery of the game code I found in the plastic model kit I bought).

I would like to move back a bit to reflect on the period when I had been devoid of my two PCs. This occurred during the time I was preparing for my job interview, and lasted another few weeks beyond. Unsurprisingly, at the beginning it was a rough time trying to adapt to a life where my only means of technology and internet accessibility was limited to my smartphone. Much of my data could not be retrieved, and I could not start my part-time work.

Yet, at least in the days leading up to my interview I would consider it one of my more productive days compared to when I had my PC. I had to dig out all my old records in order to revise through and prepare myself for the upcoming interview. And because there were no distractions of sitting in front of a computer, I could keep this up day after day. When I compare then to the amount of time burned recently watching Youtube and playing games, it almost feels like the two are separate persons.

This brings to mind the Love and Life camp I went back in 2009. At the start of the camp, we were forced to surrender our handphones, and many had voiced dissatisfaction (myself included). Yet by the end of the 7 days, there was a strong bond among the community, and I could say that more than a few wanted it to last longer. I could quite distinctly remember when the facilitators took out the box that held all of our phones, the room went quiet – not a person got up and rushed to the front. In contrast, a participant mentioned something which was then echoed by others – he doesn’t want to go back yet. Till today it was one of my most memorable camps, and takes first place in terms of cultivating interpersonal relationships. A significant portion I attribute that to the absence of opportunity fiddling with our tech devices.

Not too long ago I read an article announcing the winner of this year’s Global Techer Prize: Peter Tabichi. The science teacher cum Franciscan friar from Kenya was credited for his role in his school’s talent nurturing club and science club, with many of his students’ projects qualifying for both national and international events. In a remote village with a single school computer and poor internet connection, Peter still manages to use in ICT for the majority of his lessons, visiting internet cafes and caching online material for offline lessons. Today the fruits of his labour can be seen from his students and school’s achievements.

As I reflect on these events, I am reminded of the Parable of the Sower, specifically of the seed that grew amongst the thorns (Luke 8:14). I have been blessed with a wealth of material and technological facilities, of which many do not have at their disposal – yet with all the conveniences I inadvertently allowed the vines of distraction to entangle and choke me from fully growing and utilising my full potential. The PC breakdown was a harsh but good reminder to take a step back to simplicity once in a while, to be rid of all the trappings and distractions of life and focus on what truly matters.

RFG always.

PS: Since I will be starting my job in June, I expect I might be updating this blog more infrequently from now on. Shoutout to God for giving me my first job, even if it is not exactly my (personal) ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment