Thursday, December 17, 2009

LnL '09

On the 10th till the 16th December, I went for a camp called Love and Life. It was held in Kuala Lumpur at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Centre (APC), and was a made up of Catholics in Malaysia, although it is also opened to others.

It all started around my exam period when my current youth minister, Martin called me up to ask if I was interested in it. I thought and pondered (if those from the camp are viewing this, they would get it XD), and finally decided to go, since I would have finished my exams then, and the camp was fully sponsored (I am currently short on cash, and have to save up for my engineering project due the following semester).

Around 11 at night, just before the day I was about to leave for the camp, I received a call from aunt Rosey, saying that I would not have transport to get there (Martin assured me he would take care of this) and that I would have to get there myself via bus or train (I cannot yet drive). Thing is, I have hardly ever been to KL (heck, I hardly been ever out of my town), and I do not want to trouble my family in this matter. I was the only one representing my church; I knew no one who was in for the camp, plus and I am usually a loner. Not to mention, I was packed up for a 7 day trip, together with my guitar. To top it off, one of my guitar strings snapped on that night itself. I was like…

Die die-lah.

So around 6.30am I got up, got ready and left the house around 8 in the morning. Took me about an hour of walking from home to the train station. Asked for the station closest to Pudu Raya (and thus, APC) and got me a ticket. Took the train, travelled, arrived at some unknown place I (at that time) do not think I have ever been before. I was lost for a while, and realised I was supposed to take the train to Stesen Kuala Lumpur, not KL Central (which was one stop before Stesen KL). I was like…

Die die-lah.

And so, I bought another ticket to take me to my destination. Entered an old train I have never used before and took off. When the train stopped at Stesen KL, I expected the door to open, but it did not. Only later I found out that you have to open the door yourself -.-. So I got down on the next stop, boarded another train back to Stesen KL. At least I did not have to pay another ticket as I did not leave the compound.

I was more familiar with the surroundings around Stesen KL as I had been there a couple of times. Nevertheless, I had not come APC through that route before (I have also been there a couple of times). So I wondered around in KL with a huge bag and a guitar cover containing a guitar and umbrella. The sun was up, it was hot, and I was lost. I was like…

Die die-lah.

After a while, I happened to chance upon the cheapest guitar shop I know (it was first introduced by my former youth minister a few years back). From there, I managed to get my string fixed, bought extra strings and also a capo. I was then guided to Tung Shin hospital, which was just opposite APC centre. See how God works in mysterious ways =).

After, walking a bit more, getting lost and being directed one more time, I FINALLY REACHED THE CENTRE…3+ hours early (it was supposed to begin at 3.00pm). At least there I could deposit my bag and guitar under the eyes of the facilitators before going back out for lunch.

Went to McDonalds for lunch and after that, a fish spa before returning there around 1.00pm. It was like another 2 hours before the camp would officially begin. So I practically lay down for about another hour before people before the second earliest participants came – Justin, Joel and Gary.

Slowly other participants started filling in, and I got to know more people from other churches. And the moment the participants have all been waiting for. 3 o’ clock came, and…we were informed that the event would begin around 6 or later. I was like…

Die die-lah.

Nevertheless, it was quite fun being together and bonding with the other participants. At the boys table, we had a sort of rite before you can enter the group. One of them required you to remember their names. Thus, I do not think I will forget Justin, Joel Beh, Gary, Harry, Joel Ryan, Edmund, Christopher and Lazares (and no, it is not mispelled) so soon.

Second, each was required to do a dare, whatever that was asked of them. If I am not mistaken, 2 received a cake soaked in milo or coffee, mashed up, and was to eat it while the rest talked about faeces, defecation, vomit and what not XD. The other dares involve the girl’s (and later the nun’s) table – stuff like circling the table and offering them food, sitting with them and standing on a chair proclaiming “I am the king of the world!” XD. Mine was singing Merry Christmas between the girls’ and the nun’s table and I am proud to say I did it – with a touch of metal vocals at the ending XD.

Finally in the evening, the camp began with the celebration of mass (which was celebrated throughout the 7 days of our stay there). After diner, we had a sort of icebreaker as well as being allotted to a group, which required us to come up with a cheer and a banner. Wait, or was that the second day? Oh well.

On the more serious note, were the rules and regulations during the camp. Certain ones like ‘no smoking’ were a no problem to me. However, I was slightly taken aback when they announced that no handphones as well as watches, clocks, and electronic gadgets (besides the camera) were allowed, and that they will be storing them away and sealing them in a box. Aside for wanting to keep the spot on my left hand as fair as possible, I did not mine surrendering my watch. The same would have been with my handphone had I not been awaiting a call/SMS from my driving academy pertaining the release of my L license. This was a more than a little predicament for me, as I only recall having given the academy my number and no one else. I was really worried about what would happen should they call repeatedly, each time having no response. I was like…

Die die-lah.

The first few days of the camp were not really an enjoyable one for me. For one, every night before bed, I would develop flu as I was allergic to the blankets provided for the boy’s dormitory. The sessions, while not bad, the topics were not anything out of ordinary to me. I guess the main reason was because I had closed my mind towards the camp – feeling that there was nothing from the sessions I can bring back (see what too much theology and knowledge can do to you), and also feeling slightly left out. Oh, did I mention the toilets rapidly grew dirty, the first bedtime was very cold, and the second one was unexpectedly hot and stuffy? I was like…

Die die-lah.

As days went by however, I came to enjoy the camp and its sessions. As I had mentioned, the topics for the sessions were not one I had never come across before, but the way they were executed were unique. Sure, many have gone through the topic of boy-girl relationship (for some many, many times), but how many actually went a step further by asking participants of the opposite sex some very intimate and personal questions about their sexuality? I do not think many BGR sessions would encourage, or even allow questions such as ‘how do girls/guys masturbate, in detail?’.

During the camp, I was also able to have some quiet and solemn time to focus on God. I guess the prayer and meditation sessions were one of the more meaningful parts for me. I can practically see the difference between those times when compared to Sunday masses and my Bible studies at home. It did not matter that I had not my guitar for the most part, nor completed my daily Bible readings – I was focused on God, something I had not been able to do in awhile.

Oh, and do not get me wrong. The camp was for the majority part, noisy and quite eventful. Not up in time? THE BEAR WENT OVER THE MOUNTAAAAIIIINNNN!!!! Manicuring a guy while he is sleeping? Check. Our very own guys cheer? *ahem* Check. Cannon addition in front at the bottom pun ada XD.

There were also other events that occurred which I will not quite forget in awhile. Once when there was unexpectedly no water after games, I together with three dudes Edward, Lawrence and Oswald “booked” cubicles early in case the water suddenly returned. In order to pass time, we decided to pray an ended up completing a rosary; all its 5 decades (could not remember the day’s mystery, so we just called it, say, ‘the forth Mystery’), from ‘In the name of the Father…’ to ‘O God, whose only begotten Son…’ XD. It was a fun time bonding, though the water did not return even after the prayer.

Parting was an emotional one for many, some going as far as crying during the closing speech by some of the participants, and some ‘mogok’ by not wanting back their handphones XD. Most did not leave the room even when all was done, and a few parents waiting outside for them.

All in all, it was worthwhile going for LnL, learning its very own theme song (in addition, some sign language) and hearing some superb testimonies by the participants themselves. My thoughts – go for it if you have the chance.

RFG always.

No comments:

Post a Comment