Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Redemption’s Death

When I was young, I was taught that, after we die, we will ultimately end up either in Heaven or Hell for all eternity. There will be no second chances once our life on this world ends – either we make it or break it. As I started being exposed to various thoughts and opinions however, I began to question the issues surrounding this statement.

Back in Sunday school, the teachers used to emphasise on how loving and merciful God is, sending His only begotten Son to die for our sins that we may be saved. At the same time, we were given a set of rules which can essentially be summed up as “how to be a good person”. Though seldom explicitly stated, it was somewhat implied that if we go against those rules, we will wind up in Hell. This had me wondering, if our God is slow to anger and abundant in mercy, why is a person not entitled for that same grace after his/her life here ends? 

I believe the answer lies in one of the very first gift that God bestowed on humankind – free will. In our life here, we can choose whether or not to respond to God’s call. This freedom I believe extends even after we pass from this world. However, I also believe this will not change the outcome.

Think about it. We are given our lifetime here to make our choice to follow Him. Even at the last second, that instant before a suicide hits the ground, the moment he/she repents, the person is saved. 

But for those who refuse to turn to God in this life, could they will truly repent once they pass the place of Judgment? Here on earth, the Church militant tirelessly holds out her hand while battling the forces of evil, in order to save the lost in this world. Upon (physical) death however, the saints would be gathered up into heaven; who then, among the holy ones would be around to pick us up? When the wheat is separated from the chaff, and righteous taken to Heaven, who will still be able to witness to those who remained behind? In the valley where even a spark of good is denied, how are we to ever hope to climb out of that chasm if we had turned our backs at the time when the beacon of light was still present in our midst?

This is a solemn reminder to myself, that if I cannot overcome the temptations as well as my reluctance to call upon His grace in this God given life, I will not be able to do so even if given a hundred more. Just how many times have I told myself that I would get my act together immediately, only to let it flicker out right after? There will come a time when I will have to answer for what I have done, and failed to do. If, even with the support and encouragement of His people I choose to deny the grace of God, what more in a place devoid of it?

RFG always.

No comments:

Post a Comment